Study in United States


Every year, the U.S. attracts foreign nationals who wish to pursue their studies in approved educational institutions. The appropriate categories are: F-1 (academic students), M-1 (vocational students) and J-1 (exchange students). F-1 and M-1 students must be accepted in a program approved through the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). J-1 students must be accepted in a program which has been approved by the Department of State (DHS). These programs are available for secondary students as well as college/university students. After acceptance, prospective students generally will need to apply for a visa at the U.S. consulate abroad in order to enter the U.S. Some individuals who are in the U.S. may be eligible to apply to change their status to that of a student.

Student Visa Process

Step 1 : Attend a Counselling Session

Attend a counseling session at your closest branch to find out your options relating to study destination, courses available and recommended institutions.

Step 2 : Register with us

Register with us to start the admission and visa process. We can help you navigate through the various processes and make studying overseas easier. Remember, all our services are free of charge!

Step 3 : Apply for admission

Once you have decided what and where you want to study, we will help you complete the application to the institutions of your choice. At the time of application for admission you will be required to submit several documents including proof of previous academic qualifications and in most cases proof of your English language ability. We will also provide you with a checklist for the documents you will need to provide at the time of your visa interview (step 9).

By submitting your application through us you will be able to track the progress of your application as we send you automatic notifications of its progress. We also take the hard work out of tracking the applications by keeping in contact with the institution on your behalf.

Step 4 : Institute issues the i-20

Once a US education provider accepts you as one of their students, they will issue a "Confirmation of acceptance of the student" known as an i-20. An i-20 is required for an F-1 or M-1 student visa.

As well as applying for the visa, the i-20 form is necessary to enter the U.S. for the first time, re-enter U.S. after a short visit outside the U.S., and for the entry of family / dependents (spouse, children).

Step 5 : Pay the sevis fee online

SEVIS is The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. The SEVIS I-901 fee is required for all F and M students as well as J exchange visitors. To pay the fee, Click here

Step 6 : Payment of visa fee

Your next step is to pay the visa application fee. This fee has to be paid at the approved AXIS bank. In addition to the visa application fee you also need to pay the VFS service.

Step 7 : Complete the ds 160 for online

The visa application form, known as the DS 160 needs to be completed online. In order to complete the form you will need to have completed all steps up to this point. After successfully completing the online form, you will receive an application ID number and password, and you will be able to access the confirmation page of the DS-160..

Step 8 : Book a visa interview

The next step is to make an appointment for your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy. Appointments are booked online.

Once your appointment has been booked, you will be able to view your appointment letter. Make sure you take a print out of this as you will need to bring this with you when you attend your interview.

Step 9 : Undertake an interview with embassy

On the date of your appointment you will need to take your entire visa case with you to the interview. We will prepare the case file for you with the documents you have provided throughout the various steps of the process.

It is important also that you prepare for your visa interview. Make sure you are clear on the reasons you have chosen to Study in the USA, and why you have chosen the course and institution for which you have been issued an i-20.

Step 10 : Visa outcome

On the day of your interview, you will be informed about the visa decision. In case the visa is refused, your passport will be handed over to you directly by the visa officer. For approved visas the passport will be returned to our office, with the visa stamp, approximately one week after your interview. We will notify you as soon as it has arrived so you can come in and collect it. This also means you can also start planning your travel and accommodation for the USA!

Step 11 : Travel Services

At Medcity International Academy we can help you organise your travel arrangements to begin your new student life in the USA. Air ticketing, insurance and foreign exchange can all be arranged through us to make studying overseas easier!

List of Institutions

We are official representatives of many highly reputed institutions located in the USA. Our representation is spread across the various cities and education sectors including colleges, polytechnics and universities.

  • Bay State College
  • Berkeley College
  • California Lutheran University
  • Cascadia Community College
  • Concordia University Chicago(USA)
  • Deanza College
  • drexel university
  • Florida International University
  • Foothill College
  • Golden Gate University
  • Kent State University
  • Long Island University
  • Navitas at Umass Boston

Work rights during studies

International students studying in the USA on F-1 status visa are eligible to work on campus up to 20 hours a week while school is in session, and can work full time during vacations / scheduled breaks. Students are eligible to begin employment immediately upon being admitted to the United States in F-1 status.

For more information Click here

Post study work rights

Student visa [F-1] holders are eligible for a total of 12 months Optional Practical Training [OPT] per educational level completed.

To get the Additional 17 months OPT extension [total of 29 months which includes 12 months OPT as stated above], student must complete a degree from STEM Majors. STEM refers to degrees in science, technology, engineering, mathematics.

Bringing your Dependents

The Spouse and/or unmarried children (under the age of 21) who wish to accompany or join the student in the USA, need to apply for a dependent visa. The type of dependent visa will depend on the type of student visa the student has been granted. For more information visit: Click here

Work rights for your spouse

The spouse of a student cannot work if they have travelled to the USA on a dependent visa. If seeking employment, the appropriate work visa will be required.

For more information visit : Click here

Visitor Visa

Friends and relatives wishing to visit a student while they are studying in the USA should apply for a visitor visa. For more information visit:Click here

IELTS in Kannur - Medcity International Academy IELTS in Kannur - Medcity International Academy IELTS in Kannur - Medcity International Academy IELTS in Kannur - Medcity International Academy