What is Canada PR ?

Canada PR stands for Canada Permanent Residency. As the name suggests, it is a status granted by the Canadian Government to someone who is not a citizen of Canada but can live and work in Canada for an indefinite period. Though Permanent Residency is not the same as Canadian Citizenship, the holder is granted many of the same rights and benefits that a Citizen of Canada possesses. This includes the right to live, work, study, and access to healthcare.

In order to be granted Canada PR, you have to meet the requirements set in one of the many immigration programs that Canada has to offer. The most popular among these programs are:

  • • Express Entry
  • • Family Sponsorship
  • • Provincial Nominee Programs
  • • Self-employed Persons
  • • Start-up Visa

Express Entry:

The Express Entry program or pool is an electronic, online system designed by the Canadian government that is used to manage PR applications from foreign skilled workers. This system is rooted in the points-based selection process that ranks applicants based on their age, education, work experience, language skills, and various other factors.

There are three major programs within Express Entry:

  1. The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP):

    The FSWP is designed for skilled workers from around the world who have the necessary qualifications and work experience in their home countries and can contribute to the growth and development of Canada’s economy. To qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the applicant must score 67 points or higher. If the applicant scores lower than 67 points, they will not qualify for the program. However, an applicant may be able to raise their scores by improving their language skills, securing an additional educational qualification such as degree, diploma or certification or receiving an offer of arranged employment in Canada. The main points that are involved in the FSWP selection process are Language skills points, Education points, Work experience points, Age points, Arranged employment points, and Adaptability points.

    Language skills (maximum 28 points)

    Knowledge of one or both of Canada’s official languages (English and French) significantly increases your chances in the Canadian job market. The maximum points here are 28 and you are awarded based on your ability to read, write, listen and speak. An approved language test must be taken to prove your language levels. For English, it is the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) and for French, Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC). You must receive a minimum of CLB 7 or NCLC 7 in all four skills.

    Education (maximum 25 points)

    If you have done your schooling in Canada, you must possess a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary institution (high school) or post-secondary institution. If you have done your schooling in your home country or in any foreign nation, you must have an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) proving that your certified educational qualification is equivalent to the aforementioned Canadian ones.

    Work experience (15 points)

    You will be awarded points based on the number of years of skilled work you have done, in the occupation listed in the Training, Education, Experience and Responsibilities (TEER) category 0, 1, 2, or 3 if you have worked full-time (at least 30 hours per week) or part-time equally (15 hours per week, for 24 months).

    Age (maximum 12 points)

    Your age at the time of application will determine your points. The older you are, the lower your points will be.

    Arranged employment in Canada (maximum 10 points)

    You will be awarded points if you are in possession of a valid job offer of at least one year from a Canadian employer. You must, however, come to possession of this offer prior to the application as a Federal Skilled Worker.

    Adaptability (10 points)

    You and your spouse can earn points for adaptability by combining the elements listed below:

    • • Your spouse’s language level
    • • Your past studies in Canada
    • • Your spouse’s past studies in Canada
    • • Your past work in Canada
    • • Your spouse’s past work in Canada
    • • Arranged employment in Canada
    • • Relatives in Canada

  2. The Canadian Experience Class (CEC):

    This category of applications must have previous Canadian work experience to apply for Permanent Residency. To be eligible for CEC, you must have Canadian skilled work experience and language capabilities.

    Canadian skilled work experience

    • • You must have at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada (or equally acceptable part-time work experience) in the three years before your application.
    • • You must have garnered your work experience during legally authorized temporary resident status
    • • You must show that you had performed the duties as listed in the National Occupational Classification (NOC)
    • • You must have worked in the TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3 categories
    • • Your skilled work has to be paid work and cannot include unpaid or volunteer work

    Language ability

    You must take any of the approved language tests, such as CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for English and TEF Canada: Test d’évaluation de français or TCF Canada: Test de connaissance du français for French.

  3. The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP):

    This program is for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents of Canada by being qualified in a skilled trade. You must have skilled trades work experience, a job offer or certificate of qualification and language ability.

    Skilled trades work experience

    • • You must have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or equally acceptable part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply
    • • You must meet the job requirements as set in the National Occupational Classification
    • • You must show that you had performed the duties as listed in the National Occupational Classification (NOC)
    • Job offer or certificate of qualification

      You must have a valid full-time employment job offer for at least one year or a certificate of qualification specific to your skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority

      Language ability

      You must take any of the approved language tests, such as CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for English and TEF Canada: Test d’évaluation de français or TCF Canada: Test de connaissance du français for French.

How to apply for PR through Express Entry

There are several steps involved in applying for PR through Express Entry.

Check your eligibility: The first step is to check whether you are eligible to apply for Express Entry. You can do this using the Express Entry eligibility tool on the official Canada government website.

Check your score: If you are eligible for one or more Express Entry programs as described earlier, you will have ranked based on the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). The CRS is a points-based system used to assess and score the applicant’s profile

Create and fill out your profile: Your profile has to be filled out with language test results and other required documents,

Get the invitation and apply: Once the profile has been created and supporting documents have been uploaded, eligible candidates with the highest scores will be invited to submit their applications within 60 days from invitation.

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) program allows provinces and territories of Canada to nominate skilled workers who meet their labour market needs. There are ten provinces and three territories in Canada. Each province and territory has its own immigration programs (streams) and requirements. This program is for workers who

  • have the skills, education, and necessary work experience to contribute to the economy of the territory or province under consideration
  • want to live or reside in that province or territory
  • want to become permanent residents of Canada

How to apply through the Provincial Nominee Program?

You can apply through two processes, depending on the stream that you are applying to. The Non-Express Entry process and the Express Entry Process. You will also have to pass a medical exam and get a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC). These are mandatory for every applicant regardless of which territory or province they plan to live in.

Non-Express Entry Process

  • Meet the eligibility requirements set by the province that nominated you
  • If you’re nominated, you can apply for permanent residence online
  • You have to get a medical exam and police clearance certificate
  • Application processing takes longer here than through Express Entry

Express Entry Process

There are two ways you could apply through Express Entry process:

  • You can get in touch with the province or territory and apply for a nomination under Express Entry stream and if your province or territory agrees to nominate you, then create your Express Entry profile and show your nomination through it. OR
  • You can create an Express Entry profile and show the territories or provinces that interest you and if a province or territory shared a “notification of interest” with you, you can contact them directly and apply to their express entry stream. Upon nomination, the province or territory shares a nomination certificate which you can accept online.

In both the aforementioned cases, you must meet the eligibility requirements and show through your Express Entry profile that the minimum criteria for Express Entry is met.

If you are someone looking forward to becoming a Permanent Resident of Canada, then look no further than Medcity. We could pave the path for your PR through expert counselling and seamless processing. For more information, please contact through call/WhatsApp: +919744758595.

Call Us Now Whatsapp